A militant group emerged in 2016 calling itself the Niger Delta Avengers in the West African country.
The group claims cash revenues from oil assets in the region should be used to help support civilians.
In defiance of the Nigerian government a spate of attacks have taken place on assets owned by oil majors.
Take a look at a number of the stories below.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- With shale oil production like this, who needs Trump?
- OPEC’s plan for the future is to resurrect the past
- Opinion: Shell may hold clue to future in corner of Cobham
- Opinion: How can the government reboot the capacity market?
- Opinion: Service sector could do with a ‘long-term champion’ at government level