A militant group emerged in 2016 calling itself the Niger Delta Avengers in the West African country.
The group claims cash revenues from oil assets in the region should be used to help support civilians.
In defiance of the Nigerian government a spate of attacks have taken place on assets owned by oil majors.
Take a look at a number of the stories below.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Clinging onto power: Why extending asset life will be key
- OPINION: Collaboration is key, says BHGE after landing BP Tortue FEED work
- Opinion: When will decommissioning industry set record straight?
- Opinion: Prostate Cancer – The Big Taboo is an industry threat
- Opinion: Environmental focus about more than just compliance