A militant group emerged in 2016 calling itself the Niger Delta Avengers in the West African country.
The group claims cash revenues from oil assets in the region should be used to help support civilians.
In defiance of the Nigerian government a spate of attacks have taken place on assets owned by oil majors.
Take a look at a number of the stories below.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Treasury’s North Sea tax paper raises interesting points
- Opinion: Energy Jobline says yes to Sector Mobility within energy
- Opinion: Bridging the energy expectations gap
- Opinion: Kemp – Mergers and asset transactions on the rise in oil and gas sector
- Opinion: Energy companies are scapegoating environmental policies for their own gain