A militant group emerged in 2016 calling itself the Niger Delta Avengers in the West African country.
The group claims cash revenues from oil assets in the region should be used to help support civilians.
In defiance of the Nigerian government a spate of attacks have taken place on assets owned by oil majors.
Take a look at a number of the stories below.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- So, you think that you know all there is to know about Christmas?
- Opinion: Economic reality is set to box Mario Draghi into a corner
- Opinion: The perfect time to show some spirit for the North Sea
- Opinion: Invest, innovate, initiate in 2018
- Opinion: The Arctic threat to Saudi Arabia’s grand oil bargain