A militant group emerged in 2016 calling itself the Niger Delta Avengers in the West African country.
The group claims cash revenues from oil assets in the region should be used to help support civilians.
In defiance of the Nigerian government a spate of attacks have taken place on assets owned by oil majors.
Take a look at a number of the stories below.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: The Total-Maersk deal – great for both sides
- Opinion: The importance of employing a talented workforce through apprenticeships
- Opinion: OPEC cutbacks are diluted by oil’s long bloat
- Opinion: Transocean must lead way in thinning out global fleet post-Songa takeover
- Opinion: Preserve to conserve – maximise the value of cold stacking