This year a final decision was made on the development of Hinkley Point.
The plans had been impacted by controversy before a deal was signed amid a landmark visit from Chinese President Xi Jinping where he has met with both politicians and dignitaries.
Take a look at some of the key moments in the approval of Hinkley Point below.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Service sector could do with a ‘long-term champion’ at government level
- Opinion: It’s time to get excited about the North Sea again
- Opinion: Expanding into new sectors – diversifying to survive the oil and gas downturn
- Don’t get used to the amazing cuts in OPEC oil production
- Oil company injects ‘Frankenstein Bug’ into Earth’s core