This year a final decision was made on the development of Hinkley Point.
The plans had been impacted by controversy before a deal was signed amid a landmark visit from Chinese President Xi Jinping where he has met with both politicians and dignitaries.
Take a look at some of the key moments in the approval of Hinkley Point below.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPINION: Collaboration is key, says BHGE after landing BP Tortue FEED work
- Opinion: When will decommissioning industry set record straight?
- Opinion: Prostate Cancer – The Big Taboo is an industry threat
- Opinion: Environmental focus about more than just compliance
- Opinion: Take time to understand the culture of your people