This year a final decision was made on the development of Hinkley Point.
The plans had been impacted by controversy before a deal was signed amid a landmark visit from Chinese President Xi Jinping where he has met with both politicians and dignitaries.
Take a look at some of the key moments in the approval of Hinkley Point below.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Renewables continue to break records, but room for improvement remains
- Opinion: Renewables financiers have embraced ‘bundling’ vigorously
- Opinion: How digital can transform oil and gas supply chain and operations
- Opinion: Perception vs Reality – protection against cyber attacks
- Opinion: US shale’s the wild horse that OPEC just can’t tame