This year a final decision was made on the development of Hinkley Point.
The plans had been impacted by controversy before a deal was signed amid a landmark visit from Chinese President Xi Jinping where he has met with both politicians and dignitaries.
Take a look at some of the key moments in the approval of Hinkley Point below.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: OPEC cutbacks are diluted by oil’s long bloat
- Opinion: Transocean must lead way in thinning out global fleet post-Songa takeover
- Opinion: Preserve to conserve – maximise the value of cold stacking
- Opinion: From Connolly to collaboration
- Opinion: Tech guru unveils new battery to challenge lithium-ion