This year a final decision was made on the development of Hinkley Point.
The plans had been impacted by controversy before a deal was signed amid a landmark visit from Chinese President Xi Jinping where he has met with both politicians and dignitaries.
Take a look at some of the key moments in the approval of Hinkley Point below.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: US Iran Sanction – Undoing the JCPOA?
- Opinion: SMES still face energy “perfect storm”
- Opinion: EU data protection rules, the UK’s statement of intent
- Opinion: Unleashing ‘SturgeonPower’ could transform Scotland’s energy landscape
- Opinion: Iran’s a distraction. The urgent problem is Kurdish oil