Saudi Aramco has reportedly shelved plans for a multi-billion-dollar refining and petrochemical joint venture.
The firm had been due to team-up with Petronas, according to sources.
It is not yet clear why the project has been put on hold.
Officials from Aramco were not immediately available to comment on the matter.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPEC decision: how much more oil will this bring the market?
- OPINION: Decom giveaway laudable, but surely better to leave in place
- OPINION: Microsoft data centres – why Orkney?
- Propelling innovation through gender diversity offshore
- Opinion: Firms must strive to attract workers back to sector as skills shortage looms