Russian oil major Rosneft said it had discovered a new Arctic oil field.
Rosneft said the find in the Khatanga licenced area meant it was a pioneer of the Eastern Arctic shelf.
Tsentralno-Olginskaya-1 was the first well to be drilled under the offshore area of the Laptev Sea.
The company was awarded the licence for Khatanga development in November 2015.
Currently, Rosneft owns 28 licence areas on the Arctic shelf with the total resources of 34 btoe.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- So, you think that you know all there is to know about Christmas?
- Opinion: Economic reality is set to box Mario Draghi into a corner
- Opinion: The perfect time to show some spirit for the North Sea
- Opinion: Invest, innovate, initiate in 2018
- Opinion: The Arctic threat to Saudi Arabia’s grand oil bargain