Russian oil major Rosneft said it had discovered a new Arctic oil field.
Rosneft said the find in the Khatanga licenced area meant it was a pioneer of the Eastern Arctic shelf.
Tsentralno-Olginskaya-1 was the first well to be drilled under the offshore area of the Laptev Sea.
The company was awarded the licence for Khatanga development in November 2015.
Currently, Rosneft owns 28 licence areas on the Arctic shelf with the total resources of 34 btoe.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPINION: Collaboration is key, says BHGE after landing BP Tortue FEED work
- Opinion: When will decommissioning industry set record straight?
- Opinion: Prostate Cancer – The Big Taboo is an industry threat
- Opinion: Environmental focus about more than just compliance
- Opinion: Take time to understand the culture of your people