Total and Eni plan to drill an exploration well off Cyprus in the coming months, a news report said.
Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades told French daily Le Figaro that Total chief executive Patrick Pouyanne had confirmed plans to drill block six despite underwhelming results from block 11.
France’s Total and Italy’s Eni expect to drill later this year or early next year, Reuters reported, citing Le Figaro.
The two companies hold 50% stakes in block six, with Eni the operator.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Apart from oil sector tax break, Budget was an anti-climax
- Opinion: Out with the old and in with the reconditioned
- Opinion: All the hard work starting to pay off for Aberdeen and north-east
- Opinion: EY’s Derek Leith on what to expect from the Budget
- Opinion: Carbon capture and storage – put the kettle on