Aker Solutions has delivered the 100th subsea tree to the world’s largest subsea field development, Statoil’s Troll field, located some 65km west of Kollsnes, Norway.
The first Troll subsea tree was delivered in 1997 by Kvarner Energy, now Aker Solutions, to Norsk Hydro, since absorbed by Statoil.
Shell was initially the operator of Troll when the first block was awarded in 1979.
A large gas field with underlying oil was discovered in the same year, and the field was declared commercial in 1983.
That year, three neighbouring blocks were also handed over to Statoil, Norsk Hydro and Saga Petroleum.
Shell’s block contained a total of 32% of Troll reserves, while the remaining 68% were discovered in the other three blocks.
In 1985, the two licences were merged and Troll was developed.
Statoil became Troll Gas Operator in 1996.
Norsk Hydro had started output from Troll Oil the previous year.
Of the 100 trees delivered, 99 are currently oil-producing units and one handles water injection.
A total of 32 are connected to the Troll B platform and the remainder to Troll.
Moving on to the Norne field, Statoil has awarded a $35.8million contract to Aker for the provision of control umbilicals.
The workscope for the Fossekall-Dompap project includes a control umbilical system with a total of 26km of dynamic and static sections.
The system will provide hydraulic, electrical and fibre-optic functions for three planned four-slot templates.
It will have a 2.5in monoethylene glycol line for hydrate prevention and inhibition during shutdowns.
Engineering will be managed out of Aker Solutions’ facility in Oslo, and will be manufactured at the company’s facility in Moss, Norway.
Final deliveries will be made during the second quarter of 2012.