After protracted negotiations, Sevan Marine has finally sealed the Goliat production-vessel contract with Italian energy major Eni.
Under the contract, it will provide project and engineering management and early operation preparation services, which will include personnel who will be integrated as a part of the Eni project follow-up organisation.
Sevan will also execute and assist Eni in several specific key engineering and construction activities covering proprietary technology aspects of the can-shaped floating production and offloading unit.
The Sevan 1000 FPSO design was selected and will be installed on the Goliat field in the sub-Arctic Barents Sea, off the northern coast of Norway, on block 7122/7.
First oil is expected in 2013. The contract for engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) of the FPSO is expected later this quarter.
The Goliat FPSO will have a production capacity of some 110,000 barrels per day of oil and a gas-processing capacity of almost 141.3million cu ft per day. Oil storage capacity will be 1million barrels.
This offshore Arctic field is located in water depths ranging 1,000-1,800m (3,300-5.900ft). It was discovered in 2000 and lies about 50km (31 miles) south-east of the StatoilHydro-operated Snøhvit gas field.
Goliat has two separate main reservoirs, Kobbe and Realgrunnen. Both contain oil with an overlying gas cap. Additional, minor oil discoveries were found in the Snadd and Klappmyss formations.
Pressure in the reservoirs is low – 123 bar for Realgrunnen and 192 bar for Kobbe.
Eni says this is an advantage as regards well control, but presents challenges for production because artificial lift will be required.
The vessel has been designed to meet Norway’s strict environmental requirements in the Barents Sea. Emissions will be relatively minimal for a production unit, and there will be no discharges during normal operation. Goliat will take power from the beach, which will help reduce its CO footprint.
Eni Norge is the operator of PL229/229B, block 7122/7 and the Goliat field with 65% interest, in partnership with Statoil, holding the remaining 35%.