FALKLAND Oil & Gas (FOGL) has started drilling its first exploration well offshore the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic with the spudding of the Toroa F61/5-1 well on licence PL15. FOGL said it began drilling operations on May 31 on the Toroa well with the Diamond Offshore semi-submersible drilling rig, Ocean Guardian.
It said that not only was this the first well the company has off the Falklands, but it was the first ever exploration well in the East Falklands Basin.
The company said the Toroa F61/5-1 well was being drilled to an estimated target depth of about 2,700m (8,859ft). Drilling is expected to take about 35 days to completion.
BHP is the operator of the South and East Falkland Basin blocks with 51% interest, with FOGL holding the remaining 49%.