Written by Ian Forsyth -
Aberdeen-based international energy service company Wood Group said yesterday that two directors were leaving this summer.
Les Thomas and Mark Papworth are to step down from the board on Friday, June 29: the day of the company’s half-year trading update.
Mr Thomas joined the board in 2004 as chief executive of Wood’s production-facility business and moved to the role of group director of health and safety last year.
Following his departure, Cinzia De Santis, group head of HSE, will be fully responsible for the health and safety function.
Mr Papworth has been a member of the board since 2006, serving as CEO of Wood Group GTS (its gas-turbine service arm).
Mark Dobler, currently president of Wood Group Power Inc in America, is to become chief executive of the GTS division from July 1.
Chairman Sir Ian Wood said: “The board is grateful for the significant contribution that both Les and Mark have made to Wood Group over a number of years.
“Les led the group’s production-facilities business through a successful period of growth and internationalisation and has championed year-on-year improvement in the group’s safety culture and performance.
“Mark leaves our Wood Group GTS business in a much stronger position and well placed to benefit from the strong long-term outlook for gas-fired power generation.”
More boardroom changes are expected at the group later this year. Sir Ian will be 70 in July and has said previously he would be disappointed if he had not stepped down from the post by then, however, there was no further news on this yesterday.
A spokeswoman said the board kept under review management succession for all senior bosses, including Sir Ian, but that there was nothing to update the market on at this time apart from the departures of Mr Thomas and Mr Papworth.
Wood Group employs more than 39,000 people worldwide, with around 6,000 of them onshore and offshore in the north-east.