On May 28, Aberdeen-headquartered Dana Petroleum, with its Japanese partner Cieco, marked the “keel laying” of the Western Isles floating production storage and offloading at the huge COSCO fabrication yard at Qidong just an hour’s drive from Shanghai in China.
The $400million Sevan class FPSO is being assembled from a jigsaw of pre-fabricated modules. When completed it will displace some 26,000 tonnes; have a storage capacity of up to 400,000 barrels of oil; and be capable of handling up to 40,000 barrels per day.
Delivery is expected late next year when it will be transported and installed over the Western Isles fields cluster located 500km north-east of Aberdeen in 170m of water. It was initially located in April 2008 when the 210/24a-11 exploration encountered a excellent reservoir sequence in Brent sands. Today, the cluster comprises the Harris (formerly Rinnes) and Barra (formerly Melville) fields. Dana operates the development with a 65% interest, while Cieco holds the remaining 35%.
Click on a picture below to open up the gallery: