The son of a worker kidnapped in Libya has spoken of his shock at the incident.
The man’s father Fausto Piano was taken earlier this week along with his three colleagues Gino Pollicardo, Salvatore Failla and Filippo Calcagno.
The men, who work for Bonatti construction company, were kidnapped near an industrial complex owned by energy company Eni in the western city of Mellitah.
According to reports, the man’s son said all four families were still waiting to hear what had happened.
He said: “There are no words to express what we are feeling right now. We never thought this could happen to our family.”
Earlier this week the Italian Foreign Ministry said intelligence agents have been working to get more information on the timeline leading up to the incident.
The ministry closed its embassy in February this year and urged Italians to leave the region because of conflict in the North African country.
A number of kidnappings have taken place in Libya in recent months.
Last month reports surfaced that a manager working for Libya’s Mellitah had been taken.
The staff member had been working for the consortium, which is owned by state oil firm NOC and Italy’s ENI.
Mellitah operates a complex in Libya which exports oil and gas as well as the Wafa and El Feel oilfields.
Libya has been hit with fighting between rival factions and protests in recent months.
In March oil workers were released after being held hostage for 18 days.
Two Bangladeshi workers who were kidnapped along with seven others from an oilfield in Libya were freed and taken to a hospital on the south coast of the country.
The men had been kidnapped from the al Ghani oilfield on March 6.