Botswana has granted Tlou Energy a mining licence for the Lesedi coal bed methane (CBM) project.
The licence covers an area of about 900sq kilometres. The area was previously designated as licence PL002/2004.
Tlou managing director Tony Gilby said receiving the licence was a major milestone and an important prerequisite to developing the first commercial gas-to-power project in the country.
Mr Gilby said: “The issue of a Mining Licence will pioneer the development of a new and exciting natural CBM gas industry in Botswana, an industry that will lead to a new indigenous source of energy, income and employment for the country.”
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Accountants are the next big thing in renewable energy
- Opinion: The $10 trillion resource North Korea can’t tap
- Opinion: Onshore decommissioning needs a coordinated port plan
- Opinion: How do you use oil’s wealth to build a sustainable future?
- Opinion: Powertrain Wars – Battery or Fuel Cells?