US oil major ExxonMobil has signed production sharing contracts with the government of Mauritania for three deepwater offshore blocks.
The blocks sit about 124 miles off Mauritania and a cover a combined 8.4million acres.
ExxonMobil will begin exploration activities, including acquisition of seismic data and analysis, once the contracts get government approval.
ExxonMobil will have a 90% working interest, with Societe Mauritanienne des Hydrocarbures et de Patrimoine Minier holding the remaining 10%.
Steve Greenlee, president of ExxonMobil Exploration Company, said: “These blocks further enhance ExxonMobil’s leading global deepwater acreage position.
“We thank the government of Mauritania for the opportunity to evaluate the potential of this acreage using our expertise and advanced technology.”
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPINION: Collaboration is key, says BHGE after landing BP Tortue FEED work
- Opinion: When will decommissioning industry set record straight?
- Opinion: Prostate Cancer – The Big Taboo is an industry threat
- Opinion: Environmental focus about more than just compliance
- Opinion: Take time to understand the culture of your people