London-headquartered SDX energy has announced an oil discovery in Egypt.
The find was made in the Rabul 5 Well in the West Gharib Concession, in which SDX holds a 50% interest and is joint operator.
Further evaluation of the onshore find is ongoing.
SDX says following completion of the Rabul 5 well, the company will move on to the Rabul 4 location, for the second of two appraisal wells planned for the region this year.
Paul Welch, President and CEO of SDX, commented: “We are pleased to continue our recent run of drilling success with this oil discovery at Rabul 5. This well encountered the thickest section of pay sands seen in the Rabul area to date, demonstrating the significant oil potential contained within the licence.
“We have further drilling activity planned for the concession over the coming months and we firmly believe that these activities will enable us to increase output from the licence and achieve our ambitious production plans for 2018.”
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPEC decision: how much more oil will this bring the market?
- OPINION: Decom giveaway laudable, but surely better to leave in place
- OPINION: Microsoft data centres – why Orkney?
- Propelling innovation through gender diversity offshore
- Opinion: Firms must strive to attract workers back to sector as skills shortage looms