Thai oil firm PTTEP has delayed making a decision on whether to develop its wholly-owned Mariana oil sands project in Canada.
PTTEP said putting off the final investment decision would result in an impairment of $550million being booked in the third quarter of 2017.
It comes at a time when dozens of oil sands projects in Canada are being mothballed or scrapped due to high costs.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Out with the old and in with the reconditioned
- Opinion: All the hard work starting to pay off for Aberdeen and north-east
- Opinion: EY’s Derek Leith on what to expect from the Budget
- Opinion: Carbon capture and storage – put the kettle on
- Opinion: Ensuring effective digital platforms in the energy sector