Thai oil firm PTTEP has delayed making a decision on whether to develop its wholly-owned Mariana oil sands project in Canada.
PTTEP said putting off the final investment decision would result in an impairment of $550million being booked in the third quarter of 2017.
It comes at a time when dozens of oil sands projects in Canada are being mothballed or scrapped due to high costs.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPEC decision: how much more oil will this bring the market?
- OPINION: Decom giveaway laudable, but surely better to leave in place
- OPINION: Microsoft data centres – why Orkney?
- Propelling innovation through gender diversity offshore
- Opinion: Firms must strive to attract workers back to sector as skills shortage looms