Marathon Petroleum reported an explosion early Tuesday at its Texas City oil refinery.
The Ohio-based refining giant said no one was injured and surrounding communities weren’t affected. Local emergency responders were notified only as a precaution, Marathon spokesman Chuck Rice said.
He said an investigation into the cause of the explosion is underway.
RELATED: Marathon Petroleum commits to $2 billion Galveston refining expansion
Marathon’s Texas City refinery is much smaller than the company’s adjacent Galveston Bay refinery, although the company is planning to eventually combine the into one massive refining complex.
This first appeared on the Houston Chronicle – an Energy Voice content partner. For more click here.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Out with the old and in with the reconditioned
- Opinion: All the hard work starting to pay off for Aberdeen and north-east
- Opinion: EY’s Derek Leith on what to expect from the Budget
- Opinion: Carbon capture and storage – put the kettle on
- Opinion: Ensuring effective digital platforms in the energy sector