A 78,000 barrel-per-day reformer at ExxonMobil’s Baton Rouge refinery in Louisiana was badly damaged by a fire, a news report said.
Sources told Reuters that the blaze broke out early on Wednesday when work to fix a leak was being carried out.
There is no timeline for repairing the reformer, the report said.
An Exxon spokeswoman did not reply to a request for comment.
No injuries were reported due to the blaze.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Apart from oil sector tax break, Budget was an anti-climax
- Opinion: Out with the old and in with the reconditioned
- Opinion: All the hard work starting to pay off for Aberdeen and north-east
- Opinion: EY’s Derek Leith on what to expect from the Budget
- Opinion: Carbon capture and storage – put the kettle on