Thailand’s PTT Exploration & Production (PTTEP) (BKK:PTTEP) has struck a second gas discovery in Baram province in Block SK417 in shallow waters about 180 kms off the coast of the Malaysian state of Sarawak.
Partner Petronas said today that the Nangka-1 wildcat well was successfully drilled to a total depth of 3,758 metres in September 2021. The sweet gas was discovered in the Middle to Late Miocene Cycle VI clastic reservoirs, further validating the hydrocarbon potential in the surrounding areas, added the Malaysian national energy company.
PTTEP is the operator for Block SK417 with 80% participating interest, while Petronas Carigali holds the remaining 20%. The block was awarded in March 2018 following the Malaysia Bid Round (MBR) 2017.
“The success of Nangka-1 well marks the second gas discovery within the Baram Province this year. The finding of contaminant-free gas in Nangka-1 reaffirms sweet gas opportunities within the area, and subsequently upgrades Baram clastics play,” said Petronas senior vice president of Malaysia Petroleum Management (MPM), Mohamed Firouz Asnan.
“This second gas find further reinvigorates the Baram Province, which is part of the established Baram Delta region, signalling potential for more discoveries in the neighbouring acreages. The availability of existing facilities within the region will allow the Petroleum Arrangement Contractors (PACs) to monetise their discoveries quicker and cheaper through tie-back solutions,” he added.
In February this year, Petronas and PTTEP announced a new gas discovery in the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well in the same block, in the Baram Province.