Calendar An icon of a desk calendar. Cancel An icon of a circle with a diagonal line across. Caret An icon of a block arrow pointing to the right. Email An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of the Facebook "f" mark. Google An icon of the Google "G" mark. Linked In An icon of the Linked In "in" mark. Logout An icon representing logout. Profile An icon that resembles human head and shoulders. Telephone An icon of a traditional telephone receiver. Tick An icon of a tick mark. Is Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes. Is Not Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes with a diagonal line through it. Pause Icon A two-lined pause icon for stopping interactions. Quote Mark A opening quote mark. Quote Mark A closing quote mark. Arrow An icon of an arrow. Folder An icon of a paper folder. Breaking An icon of an exclamation mark on a circular background. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Caret An icon of a caret arrow. Clock An icon of a clock face. Close An icon of the an X shape. Close Icon An icon used to represent where to interact to collapse or dismiss a component Comment An icon of a speech bubble. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Ellipsis An icon of 3 horizontal dots. Envelope An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Home An icon of a house. Instagram An icon of the Instagram logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. Magnifying Glass An icon of a magnifying glass. Search Icon A magnifying glass icon that is used to represent the function of searching. Menu An icon of 3 horizontal lines. Hamburger Menu Icon An icon used to represent a collapsed menu. Next An icon of an arrow pointing to the right. Notice An explanation mark centred inside a circle. Previous An icon of an arrow pointing to the left. Rating An icon of a star. Tag An icon of a tag. Twitter An icon of the Twitter logo. Video Camera An icon of a video camera shape. Speech Bubble Icon A icon displaying a speech bubble WhatsApp An icon of the WhatsApp logo. Information An icon of an information logo. Plus A mathematical 'plus' symbol. Duration An icon indicating Time. Success Tick An icon of a green tick. Success Tick Timeout An icon of a greyed out success tick. Loading Spinner An icon of a loading spinner.

Novatek goes green at Vysotsk LNG facility

© Supplied by NovatekAerial view of loading jetty at LNG plant
The Vysotsk LNG plant. Vysotsk, Leningrad. Supplied by Novatek Date; Unknown

Russian gas independent Novatek has struck a deal to secure renewable energy supplies for its Cryogas-Vysotsk LNG plant.

Fortum will supply all of the LNG facilities’ needs, Novatek said, with power from Russian wind farms and joint ventures. This move will reduce scope 2 emissions from the Vysotsk plant.

“Using green energy to power natural gas liquefaction is an effective way to reduce the LNG’s carbon footprint,” said Leonid Mikhelson, Chairman of Novatek. “This is an emerging area of activity for us and we are considering various ways of using wind power in our LNG projects.”

He went on to say that buying renewable energy is an “economically efficient solution that helps reduce carbon emissions in the region as a whole and contribute to [the] further development of wind farms in Russia”.

Novatek said it had struck a memorandum of understanding with Fortum at the St Petersburg forum, in June 2021.

The Vysotsk LNG plant will produce 660,000 tonnes of LNG per year. It began producing in April 2019. Novatek has a 51% stake in the facility, while Gazprombank has the remaining 49%.

Based in Vysotsk, on the Baltic Sea, the LNG plant exports to the Baltic and Scandinavian states.

Reducing the associated carbon from LNG is increasingly important in supplies to Europe. Novatek is also signing up to increase LNG deliveries to China.

On January 11, the Russian company announced deals to supply ENN’s Zhoushan terminal and Zhejiang Provincial Energy Group. Novatek will provide 0.6 million tonnes per year to ENN and 1mn tpy to Zhejiang from its Arctic LNG 2 project.

Recommended for you

More from Energy Voice

Latest Posts