Saudi Arabia’s Navy had to stave off an attempted attack on offshore oil rigs late last week.
The Kingdom’s press agency said three boats bearing red and white flags entered Saudi waters in the Arabian Gulf on Friday night.
The Navy fired warning shots as the boast sped towards the rigs in the Marjan oil field, but the boats kept going, the agency said, citing an official source.
One of the boats was captured while the other two escaped.
The captured vessel was found to contain weapons.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: The importance of employing a talented workforce through apprenticeships
- Opinion: OPEC cutbacks are diluted by oil’s long bloat
- Opinion: Transocean must lead way in thinning out global fleet post-Songa takeover
- Opinion: Preserve to conserve – maximise the value of cold stacking
- Opinion: From Connolly to collaboration