About 800 onshore workers employed by Total in Aberdeen are moving into Subsea 7’s old west campus building in nearby Westhill.
The new tenancy deal, for 138,535sq ft of office space was conditionally agreed late last year.
A spokesman for the French energy company yesterday confirmed the move from its current site in Crawpeel Road in Altens, Aberdeen, was definitely going ahead.
It is thought Total is looking to have its Granite City workforce in the new premises, following a refurbishment, by October.
A number of developers are believed to be circling the Crawpeel Road site, where a high rateable value means the existing complex is unlikely to remain standing for long.
“The most likely prospect for that building is the bulldozer,” one local market expert said yesterday.
Total’s lease deal with M&G Real Estate, the owner of the Westhill site, is expected to be last one involving a major oil and gas firm in the Aberdeen area after a flurry of activity in the run up to the oil price slump and the downturn that has followed.
The west campus complex has been empty for more than a year.
Subsea 7 moved out as part of a “downsizing” of its local property portfolio.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPEC decision: how much more oil will this bring the market?
- OPINION: Decom giveaway laudable, but surely better to leave in place
- OPINION: Microsoft data centres – why Orkney?
- Propelling innovation through gender diversity offshore
- Opinion: Firms must strive to attract workers back to sector as skills shortage looms