This video shows a German tug boat battling 20-foot waves and Beaufort 11 conditions the North Sea.
The vessel wass on the way to rescue bulk carrier Glory Amsterdam.
Emergency teams were unable to prevent 738ft bulk carrier the Glory Amsterdam drifting on to a sandbank off the North Sea island of Langeoog.
Storm Herwart, whose gusts reached 112mph, caused electricity blackouts in hundreds of thousands of homes in the Czech Republic, Austria and other countries.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Apart from oil sector tax break, Budget was an anti-climax
- Opinion: Out with the old and in with the reconditioned
- Opinion: All the hard work starting to pay off for Aberdeen and north-east
- Opinion: EY’s Derek Leith on what to expect from the Budget
- Opinion: Carbon capture and storage – put the kettle on