A massive truck bomb exploded near a police base in the western Libyan town of Zliten, killing at least 60 police officers and wounding around 200 others, officials have said.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack but a local Islamic State affiliate has been trying to gain a foothold in Zliten, spreading westward from its central stronghold of
Sirte along the North African country’s coast.
Hours after the blast, rescue crews at the scene had only managed to extract 60 bodies out of the wreckage, said a hospital spokesman, Moamar Kaddi. Libyan officials said they believed there might be dozens more dead.
The police base, where about 400 recruits were training, was used by Libya’s border police, a Zliten security official said.
Border police foiled numerous human smuggling attempts off the coast of Zliten last year.
Smugglers operating in Libya are notorious for responding with violence to any attempt to disrupt their lucrative operations, but there have been no reported incidents in which they used car
bombs, suggesting that Islamic militant are more likely to have been behind Thursday’s attack.
Also, it was not immediately clear whether the attack was a suicide bombing, a hallmark method of Islamic militants.
In recent years, thousands of migrants seeking a better life in Europe sailed from Libya on rickety, overcrowded boats. Hundreds have drowned in those crossings.
Libya slid into chaos following the 2011 toppling and killing of longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi. The oil-rich country is torn between an Islamist government based in the capital, Tripoli, and a rival, internationally recognised administration in the east. Meanwhile, a UN-supported unity government sits in neighbouring Tunisia.
Residents in Libyan coastal cities have long expressed fears of the variety of smugglers and traffickers who run lucrative operations along the Mediterranean Sea. Authorities have echoed the same concerns, claiming they are unable to fully tackle these networks without international assistance.