A UK based drone operator has completed the lengthiest civilian drone flight in the UK.
The beyond line of sight flight saw Flylogix’s Condor Drone complete an infrared inspection of the DP3 unmanned platform in the East Irish Sea on behalf of oil and gas operator Centrica.
The drone took off from Blackpool Airport and flew the 88km round trip to the installation, which forms part of Centrica’s Morecambe Bay operations.
FlyLogix chairman, Charles Tavner, said: “This is a major milestone for FlyLogix as we showcase the significant benefits of our long range offshore drone service, and ultimately demonstrate the future of offshore inspection and logistics.”
FlyLogix said it had worked in close collaboration with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), Centrica, Blackpool Airport and other air space users, to ensure the safety and success of the record operation.
The use of long range drones in the energy industry allows operators to reduce risk to the workforce and gives an advantage in reaching hard to access areas that would normally be out of bounds.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: All the hard work starting to pay off for Aberdeen and north-east
- Opinion: EY’s Derek Leith on what to expect from the Budget
- Opinion: Carbon capture and storage – put the kettle on
- Opinion: Ensuring effective digital platforms in the energy sector
- Opinion: ‘We woke up to a very new climate reality when Donald Trump won the election’