New French Ecology Minister Nicolas Hulot claims France will seek to reduce the share of nuclear in the power mix to 50 percent by 2025 and would close its oldest nuclear power plant.
“In 2025, the share of nuclear (power) compared to what it was yesterday and not tomorrow must be 50 percent,” Hulot told France 2 television.
Currently around 75% of France’s energy demands can be accounted for by nuclear power.
Hulot confirmed that the Fessenheim nuclear power reactor would be closed after consultations.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPEC decision: how much more oil will this bring the market?
- OPINION: Decom giveaway laudable, but surely better to leave in place
- OPINION: Microsoft data centres – why Orkney?
- Propelling innovation through gender diversity offshore
- Opinion: Firms must strive to attract workers back to sector as skills shortage looms