New French Ecology Minister Nicolas Hulot claims France will seek to reduce the share of nuclear in the power mix to 50 percent by 2025 and would close its oldest nuclear power plant.
“In 2025, the share of nuclear (power) compared to what it was yesterday and not tomorrow must be 50 percent,” Hulot told France 2 television.
Currently around 75% of France’s energy demands can be accounted for by nuclear power.
Hulot confirmed that the Fessenheim nuclear power reactor would be closed after consultations.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Oil price predictions following the OPEC vote
- New privacy law will help oil and gas sector to get more out of data
- Opinion: Today’s Stunted Oil Prices Could Cause Oil Price Shock In 2020
- Production cuts have worked, but we need an extension, Kemp and de Leeuw say
- Opinion: Fuelling change for energy companies of all sizes