New French Ecology Minister Nicolas Hulot claims France will seek to reduce the share of nuclear in the power mix to 50 percent by 2025 and would close its oldest nuclear power plant.
“In 2025, the share of nuclear (power) compared to what it was yesterday and not tomorrow must be 50 percent,” Hulot told France 2 television.
Currently around 75% of France’s energy demands can be accounted for by nuclear power.
Hulot confirmed that the Fessenheim nuclear power reactor would be closed after consultations.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPINION: Still time for hazardous industry operators to get ahead in digitisation
- Procurement and audit…the missing link? asks AAB
- Aberdeen still energy powerhouse as renewables combine with oil and gas to buoy hopes for the future
- Opinion: Mariner strike – Eat humble pie if needs be
- Decarbonising the UK: Why are we so cool on heat?