New French Ecology Minister Nicolas Hulot claims France will seek to reduce the share of nuclear in the power mix to 50 percent by 2025 and would close its oldest nuclear power plant.
“In 2025, the share of nuclear (power) compared to what it was yesterday and not tomorrow must be 50 percent,” Hulot told France 2 television.
Currently around 75% of France’s energy demands can be accounted for by nuclear power.
Hulot confirmed that the Fessenheim nuclear power reactor would be closed after consultations.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Apart from oil sector tax break, Budget was an anti-climax
- Opinion: Out with the old and in with the reconditioned
- Opinion: All the hard work starting to pay off for Aberdeen and north-east
- Opinion: EY’s Derek Leith on what to expect from the Budget
- Opinion: Carbon capture and storage – put the kettle on