Scottish marine power firm Atlantis Resources has revealed that the first phase of its MeyGen project has reached a new milestone.
The tidal array has now exported more than 1GWh to the grid.
A gigawatt of power will provide enough energy for about 700,000 homes.
MeyGen was launched in the Pentland Firth in October 2016.
Atlantis chief executive Tim Cornelius said: “Yet another milestone has been achieved as we continue to see the vast potential of the world’s largest tidal power array realised. It’s extremely rewarding for all those involved to see the fruits of our collective passion and labour continuing to deliver.”
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: The Total-Maersk deal – great for both sides
- Opinion: The importance of employing a talented workforce through apprenticeships
- Opinion: OPEC cutbacks are diluted by oil’s long bloat
- Opinion: Transocean must lead way in thinning out global fleet post-Songa takeover
- Opinion: Preserve to conserve – maximise the value of cold stacking