Last year was another record breaker for renewables, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).
Almost two thirds of net new power capacity worldwide came from green sources.
Solar power accounted for a large part of the growth, with a 50% increase in capacity.
For more facts about renewable energy watch this short video from the IEA.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Watch: ERRV navigates North Sea storm in January
- VIDEO: The mighty Statoil Aasta Hansteen travels in style
- VIDEO: Scotrenewables tidal turbine generates energy despite heavy storms
- Video: Scottish green gas can create renewable power
- Video: North Sea Piper ringing in the New Year goes viral
- VIDEO: Hurricane Harvey Video – Day 5