Shell’s platform off the Louisiana coastline within the Gulf of Mexico has become an artificial ecosystem for sea life.
The Cougar platform is to be donated by Shell to the Louisiana artificial reef programme.
Shell describe the platforms as a “steel monument to human ingenuity” and as “pioneered a new wave in oil and gas development”.
Describing this as the ‘retirement’ of the Cougar platform, Shell made a sizable donation to maintain the upkeep of the platform in the future.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Watch: ERRV navigates North Sea storm in January
- VIDEO: The mighty Statoil Aasta Hansteen travels in style
- VIDEO: Scotrenewables tidal turbine generates energy despite heavy storms
- Video: Scottish green gas can create renewable power
- Video: North Sea Piper ringing in the New Year goes viral
- VIDEO: Hurricane Harvey Video – Day 5