Stocks in mining companies have dropped to a FTSE 100 low after the price of iron ore dropped to a six month low.
The key steel-making ingredient was hit by a downturn in the Chinese markets and concerns of excess supply.
Glencore fell 11.35p at 297.7p, Antofagasta dropped 25p at 810p, Anglo American slumped 51p to 1,129p and BHP Billiton fell 48.5p at 1,225.5p.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: The Total-Maersk deal – great for both sides
- Opinion: The importance of employing a talented workforce through apprenticeships
- Opinion: OPEC cutbacks are diluted by oil’s long bloat
- Opinion: Transocean must lead way in thinning out global fleet post-Songa takeover
- Opinion: Preserve to conserve – maximise the value of cold stacking