Union chiefs are calling for jobs to be protected as BP transfers the rights to operate one of it’s oldest North Sea assets.
EnQuest has taken over a 25% interest in the energy giant’s Magnus field, with the possibility of exercising an option to take on the remaining 75% next year.
The independent oil and gas producer has also taken a 3% interest in the Sullom Voe oil and gas processing terminal on Shetland, again with the possibility of taking on more responsibility down the line.
As part of the deal EnQuest will take over operatorship of the Magnus despite BP still holding the majority interest.
BP has since kick-started a consultation with operational and support staff at both assets as they are “expected to transfer with the businesses”.
Around 100 BP staff are currently associated with Magnus and associated infrastructure, and approximately 240 with the Sullom Voe Terminal (SVT)
Unite regional officer John Boland has warned that no changes should be made to terms and conditions for any BP employees involved in the transfer to EnQuest.
He said: “Many people will look on this news as the end of an era, given BP’s long association with the Sullom Voe Terminal and the Magnus field. It was discovered by BP way back in 1974 when the company was still owned by the public.
“BP has said it will now start consultations and Unite is pledged to making sure the rights of our members are protected in any transfer. We are clear – there should be no change to the terms and conditions of any worker moving over to employment by EnQuest.
“When transfers like this happen, there is often a concern about potential job losses. We strongly hope that is not the case here, and we will be talking with BP and EnQuest to get a clear idea of their plans for the future so our members are fully informed.”