Subsea 7 share soared amid rumours of a merger with US service giant Baker Hughes.
Reuters news agency cites a Wall Street Journal report, which quoted anonymous sources.
It was claimed that talks broke down over a price for the reported takeover.
Subsea 7 said it was aware of the media speculation and share price movement but had a policy of not commenting on “rumours”.
The share price spiked on Thursday morning around 10am at $17.43.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPINION: Victim’s son fears another Piper Alpha is ‘just around the corner’
- OPINION: Contractor lawyers in demand as firms reluctant to return to bloated workforces
- OPINION: Are Electric Vehicles changing BP’s business model?
- OPINION: Where helicopter safety is concerned, regulations matter
- OPINION: Time to take pumped storage hydro seriously