Europa Oil & Gas said the Environment Agency is “minded” to award a permit for drilling and testing the Holmwood exploration well in Surrey.
A four-week public consultation process runs from 15 February to 15 March 2018.
Europa chief executive Hugh Mackay said: “We are pleased to have reached this important stage in the environmental permitting process.
“Whilst we are still in the determination process and a final decision has not been made, it is nonetheless positive that the Environmental Agency is inclined to approve.
“We look forward to the outcome of the consultation process and will keep shareholders updated.”
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPEC decision: how much more oil will this bring the market?
- OPINION: Decom giveaway laudable, but surely better to leave in place
- OPINION: Microsoft data centres – why Orkney?
- Propelling innovation through gender diversity offshore
- Opinion: Firms must strive to attract workers back to sector as skills shortage looms