GERMAN oil and gas firm RWE Dea said yesterday it planned to start production at two North Sea gas fields next year.
The Breagh field, one of the largest natural gas discoveries to be developed in the UK southern North Sea in recent years, is expected to pump its first gas next summer.
When fully operational, the £400million-plus development about 62 miles east of Teesside will produce an estimated 160million cubic feet of gas per day.
RWE Dea UK managing director Rene Pawel said: “We remain on course to achieve production from the Breagh field less than three years after we acquired operatorship of the Breagh licence.
“Breagh is one of the largest natural gas discoveries in the southern North Sea and our target is to bring field developments on stream quickly.”
In the first phase of the Breagh project, gas from between seven and 10 wells will be exported to Coatham Sands, at Redcar, and on to processing at the Teesside gas-processing plant at Seal Sands.
RWE Dea is waiting for approval from the UK Government for a second phase scheduled to start in 2013. It involves further wells being drilled near the field.
The German company also said it would start production at the £240million Clipper South field in the southern North Sea in the first half of next year. The development – which is believed to hold 423billion cubic feet of gas – lies 37 miles offshore.
RWE Dea holds a 70% interest in Breagh as operator, while Sterling Resources has the remaining 30%.
Clipper South is 50% owned by RWE Dea, with Fairfield Energy and Bayerngas holding 25% each.