Genel Energy said today that a well drilled in the northern part of the Taq Taq field in Kurdistan has struck oil.
Jersey-based Genel, which has a 44% stake in the field, said it was too early to predict the impact the well would have on reserves.
Gross production from Taq Taq is currently 15,100 barrels of oil per day.
Genel was founded by former BP boss Tony Hayward.
He left Genel in June after several difficult years.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPINION: Collaboration is key, says BHGE after landing BP Tortue FEED work
- Opinion: When will decommissioning industry set record straight?
- Opinion: Prostate Cancer – The Big Taboo is an industry threat
- Opinion: Environmental focus about more than just compliance
- Opinion: Take time to understand the culture of your people