Anti nuclear campaigners are to stage a protest outside the United States embassy to demand an end to President Donald Trump’s “nuclear war drive”.
CND said the threat of a conflict with North Korea was a “very dangerous global situation”.
General secretary Kate Hudson said: “Donald Trump said the North Korea issue ’will be taken care of’ and has sent an aircraft carrier-led strike group to the Korean Peninsula as an indication of his intentions.
“This comes after an escalation of aggressive military force in Syria and Afghanistan, with an increase in civilian casualties and a complete disregard for international law.
“It hasn’t quite sunk in for many of us just how close to nuclear war we might be, but civil society is mobilising to demand a de-escalation of this crisis because the consequences of a war don’t bear thinking about.
“It’s absolutely critical that the British government distances itself from Donald Trump’s nuclear ambitions.”
The protest will be held outside the London embassy tonight.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Renewables continue to break records, but room for improvement remains
- Opinion: Renewables financiers have embraced ‘bundling’ vigorously
- Opinion: How digital can transform oil and gas supply chain and operations
- Opinion: Perception vs Reality – protection against cyber attacks
- Opinion: US shale’s the wild horse that OPEC just can’t tame