The crude price downturn has delayed many offshore oil developments as companies have had to cut their spending.
But a number of firms have managed to get over the finishing line to produce first oil (and gas) in the North Sea this year.
The gallery below highlights some of the big achievements from the last 12 months.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Energy companies are scapegoating environmental policies for their own gain
- Singapore efficiency even extends to its bankruptcy laws
- Opinion: UK can lead way in designing first nuclear fusion power stations
- Paul de Leeuw: Brexit impact on the oil and gas industry in the UK
- Opinion: Onshore decommissioning jobs myth