Petronas said it is pushing ahead with plans to start operatins in 3029 despite Saudi Aramco ditching plans for the venture.
The Malaysian state oil firm said the Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development (RAPID) project is part of its Pengerang Integrated Complex (PIC), estimated to cost as much as $27 billion.
It has been designed to have a 300,000 barrels per day oil refinery as well as a petrochemical complex with an annual capacity of 7.7million tonnes a year.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPEC decision: how much more oil will this bring the market?
- OPINION: Decom giveaway laudable, but surely better to leave in place
- OPINION: Microsoft data centres – why Orkney?
- Propelling innovation through gender diversity offshore
- Opinion: Firms must strive to attract workers back to sector as skills shortage looms