Total is reportedly interested in the Majnoon oil field situated in southern Iraq which Royal Dutch Shell is planning to pull out of.
According to Reuters and the Iraqi oil ministry, a senior Total executive requested a meeting with the Iraq Oil Minister, Jabar al-Luaibi in Baghdad to indicate their interest.
During the meeting Total also expressed their interest in investing in the Nassiriya oil and gas project ‘which provides for upstream and downstream development in the southern Iraqi region’, claim Reuters.
The Nassiriya project aims to increase production and output from the southern Iraq region.
Royal Dutch Shell reportedly said last month that it intends to pull operations from the region due to ‘unfavourable changes in fiscal terms’.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- So, you think that you know all there is to know about Christmas?
- Opinion: Economic reality is set to box Mario Draghi into a corner
- Opinion: The perfect time to show some spirit for the North Sea
- Opinion: Invest, innovate, initiate in 2018
- Opinion: The Arctic threat to Saudi Arabia’s grand oil bargain