Calendar An icon of a desk calendar. Cancel An icon of a circle with a diagonal line across. Caret An icon of a block arrow pointing to the right. Email An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of the Facebook "f" mark. Google An icon of the Google "G" mark. Linked In An icon of the Linked In "in" mark. Logout An icon representing logout. Profile An icon that resembles human head and shoulders. Telephone An icon of a traditional telephone receiver. Tick An icon of a tick mark. Is Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes. Is Not Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes with a diagonal line through it. Pause Icon A two-lined pause icon for stopping interactions. Quote Mark A opening quote mark. Quote Mark A closing quote mark. Arrow An icon of an arrow. Folder An icon of a paper folder. Breaking An icon of an exclamation mark on a circular background. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Caret An icon of a caret arrow. Clock An icon of a clock face. Close An icon of the an X shape. Close Icon An icon used to represent where to interact to collapse or dismiss a component Comment An icon of a speech bubble. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Ellipsis An icon of 3 horizontal dots. Envelope An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Home An icon of a house. Instagram An icon of the Instagram logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. Magnifying Glass An icon of a magnifying glass. Search Icon A magnifying glass icon that is used to represent the function of searching. Menu An icon of 3 horizontal lines. Hamburger Menu Icon An icon used to represent a collapsed menu. Next An icon of an arrow pointing to the right. Notice An explanation mark centred inside a circle. Previous An icon of an arrow pointing to the left. Rating An icon of a star. Tag An icon of a tag. Twitter An icon of the Twitter logo. Video Camera An icon of a video camera shape. Speech Bubble Icon A icon displaying a speech bubble WhatsApp An icon of the WhatsApp logo. Information An icon of an information logo. Plus A mathematical 'plus' symbol. Duration An icon indicating Time. Success Tick An icon of a green tick. Success Tick Timeout An icon of a greyed out success tick. Loading Spinner An icon of a loading spinner.

Investment pays dividends

Aker BP’s Valhall complex
Aker BP’s Valhall complex

A Norwegian oil field given an extra 40 years of life after a multibillion-pound investment has been brought back on stream.

Operator BP said the Valhall complex was expected to build up to about 65,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boepd) in the second half of this year.

Output before the redevelopment project was about 40,000 boepd.

Work on the field in the North Sea included a new production, utilities and accommodation platform and a system providing power from the shore.

Output had been shut since July last year to move over to the new platform.

“The Valhall redevelopment project is another significant milestone for BP and is an important investment in our North Sea portfolio,” said BP chief executive Bob Dudley.

He added: “It is one of BP’s most complex field-expansion developments and gives Valhall a further 40-year design life, with the capacity to handle 120,000 barrels of oil and 143million cubic feet of gas per day.”

BP has previously said the Valhall redevelopment, along with its Skarv project – a floating production platform in the Norwegian sector that came online earlier this month – would help increase the firm’s output in Norway from 30,000 boepd to 60,000.

This would make the firm’s Norwegian production count for a third of its overall North Sea output.

BP Norway is the operator of Valhall, with a 35.9% interest. Hess Norge owns the remaining 64.1%.

The redevelopment means Valhall is now wholly powered from shore thanks to a 182-mile cable from Lista, the first field offshore Norway and within BP to use such a system. BP said this would make direct emissions to air from the Valhall field close to zero.

Including the new platform, the Valhall field complex now has six separate manned platforms – quarters, drilling, production, wellheads, water injection and the new combined process and hotel platform.

First production from the Valhall field, discovered in 1975, came in 1982.

Recommended for you

More from Energy Voice

Latest Posts