Dutch oil giant Shell has struck a new gas discovery at its majority owned deep-water block SK318 offshore Malaysia.
The discovery was made by Marjoram-1 well, located 180 kilometres off the country’s coast.
It follows a discovery in the same block earlier this year, when the Rosmari-1 well, around 135 kilometres off the Malaysian coast, discovered a gas column of more than 450 metres.
“Our strategy to expand our heartland areas through technologically advanced exploration is delivering tangible success in deep-water in Malaysia,” said Andrew Brown, Shell upstream international director.
“We have a long history in the region, and the addition of new natural gas resources this year ensures we are able to continue to provide cost-effective, reliable, cleaner energy options for the future.”
Shell is the operator of SK318 with an 85% interest. Malaysia’s Petronas holds the remaining 15%.