Calendar An icon of a desk calendar. Cancel An icon of a circle with a diagonal line across. Caret An icon of a block arrow pointing to the right. Email An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of the Facebook "f" mark. Google An icon of the Google "G" mark. Linked In An icon of the Linked In "in" mark. Logout An icon representing logout. Profile An icon that resembles human head and shoulders. Telephone An icon of a traditional telephone receiver. Tick An icon of a tick mark. Is Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes. Is Not Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes with a diagonal line through it. Pause Icon A two-lined pause icon for stopping interactions. Quote Mark A opening quote mark. Quote Mark A closing quote mark. Arrow An icon of an arrow. Folder An icon of a paper folder. Breaking An icon of an exclamation mark on a circular background. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Caret An icon of a caret arrow. Clock An icon of a clock face. Close An icon of the an X shape. Close Icon An icon used to represent where to interact to collapse or dismiss a component Comment An icon of a speech bubble. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Ellipsis An icon of 3 horizontal dots. Envelope An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Home An icon of a house. Instagram An icon of the Instagram logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. Magnifying Glass An icon of a magnifying glass. Search Icon A magnifying glass icon that is used to represent the function of searching. Menu An icon of 3 horizontal lines. Hamburger Menu Icon An icon used to represent a collapsed menu. Next An icon of an arrow pointing to the right. Notice An explanation mark centred inside a circle. Previous An icon of an arrow pointing to the left. Rating An icon of a star. Tag An icon of a tag. Twitter An icon of the Twitter logo. Video Camera An icon of a video camera shape. Speech Bubble Icon A icon displaying a speech bubble WhatsApp An icon of the WhatsApp logo. Information An icon of an information logo. Plus A mathematical 'plus' symbol. Duration An icon indicating Time. Success Tick An icon of a green tick. Success Tick Timeout An icon of a greyed out success tick. Loading Spinner An icon of a loading spinner.

Eni scores Western Desert hat trick

Workers in orange coveralls work on a pipe
Eni in Egypt

Eni has discovered a more resources in Egypt’s Western Desert, in keeping with its plans to deliver production to market quickly.

The company drilled the Jasmine W-1X and MWD-21 wells on the Meleiha lease, and the SWM-4X well on the South West Meleiha exploration concession.

The Jasmine W-1X found 113 feet of net pay in the Jurassic sandstones. It flowed at 2,000 barrels per day and 7 million cubic feet per day of associated gas.

The Jasmine MWD-21 found 51 feet of pay in the Cretaceous sandstones. Eni has already tied this into production, with a rate of 2,500 bpd.

The SWM-4X well found 36 feet of net pay in Cretaceous sandstones. The company reported an initial flow rate of 1,800 bpd and 0.3 mmcf per day of gas. This well is 35 km south of the Meleiha facility, Eni said.

These three discoveries have resources of 50 million barrels of oil equivalent, Eni said. They provide more than 6,000 boepd to Eni’s gross production, it said.

Agiba arise

There is scope for more appraisal and production wells. Eni is planning these in order to sustain production at Agiba. This is Eni’s joint venture with Egyptian General Petroleum Corp. (EGPC).

Eni’s IEOC holds a 76% stake in the contractor participating interest of Meleiha, while Lukoil has the remaining 24%. IEOC holds the entirety of the participating interest in South West Meleiha.

In December 2020, Eni reported its equity production in Egypt was 320,000 boepd. It has risen to 360,000 boepd.

The Italian company struck a deal to merge the Meleiha and Meleiha Deep concessions in June this year. The licence runs until 2036, with the option to extend this to 2041.

It has continued discovering new resources in the area. In 2020, Eni reported success at the SWM-A-6X, on South West Meleiha. The well began producing at 5,000 bpd, while the concession was producing 12,000 bpd.

The company then announced another discovery in Meleiha at the end of the year, which produced at 5,500 bpd. It followed this with two appraisals, bringing new production to 10,000 bpd.

Recommended for you

More from Energy Voice

Latest Posts