South American focused Amerisur Resources has begun drilling on well Platanillo 8 on Pad 5 in the Platanillo field in the Putumayo basin of Colombia.
Platanillo 8 is being drilled using the Serinco D-10 rig and is the first of a minimum of two infill wells to be drilled this year and will take approximately 30 days to drill and test, the company said in a statement.
The AIM-listed firm said it plans to penetrate the N, U and T sands and if successful, production can be brought on stream swiftly into existing treatment facilities and will also be able to use the OBA pipeline which is currently under construction, cutting opex and transport costs per barrel from $27 to $15.
The drilling and testing of each infill well is expected to cost approximately $4million.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Apart from oil sector tax break, Budget was an anti-climax
- Opinion: Out with the old and in with the reconditioned
- Opinion: All the hard work starting to pay off for Aberdeen and north-east
- Opinion: EY’s Derek Leith on what to expect from the Budget
- Opinion: Carbon capture and storage – put the kettle on