Calendar An icon of a desk calendar. Cancel An icon of a circle with a diagonal line across. Caret An icon of a block arrow pointing to the right. Email An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of the Facebook "f" mark. Google An icon of the Google "G" mark. Linked In An icon of the Linked In "in" mark. Logout An icon representing logout. Profile An icon that resembles human head and shoulders. Telephone An icon of a traditional telephone receiver. Tick An icon of a tick mark. Is Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes. Is Not Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes with a diagonal line through it. Pause Icon A two-lined pause icon for stopping interactions. Quote Mark A opening quote mark. Quote Mark A closing quote mark. Arrow An icon of an arrow. Folder An icon of a paper folder. Breaking An icon of an exclamation mark on a circular background. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Caret An icon of a caret arrow. Clock An icon of a clock face. Close An icon of the an X shape. Close Icon An icon used to represent where to interact to collapse or dismiss a component Comment An icon of a speech bubble. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Ellipsis An icon of 3 horizontal dots. Envelope An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Home An icon of a house. Instagram An icon of the Instagram logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. Magnifying Glass An icon of a magnifying glass. Search Icon A magnifying glass icon that is used to represent the function of searching. Menu An icon of 3 horizontal lines. Hamburger Menu Icon An icon used to represent a collapsed menu. Next An icon of an arrow pointing to the right. Notice An explanation mark centred inside a circle. Previous An icon of an arrow pointing to the left. Rating An icon of a star. Tag An icon of a tag. Twitter An icon of the Twitter logo. Video Camera An icon of a video camera shape. Speech Bubble Icon A icon displaying a speech bubble WhatsApp An icon of the WhatsApp logo. Information An icon of an information logo. Plus A mathematical 'plus' symbol. Duration An icon indicating Time. Success Tick An icon of a green tick. Success Tick Timeout An icon of a greyed out success tick. Loading Spinner An icon of a loading spinner.

ConocoPhillips wins Malaysia Block offshore Sabah

© BloombergThe Petronas Twin Towers stand reflected in the windows of the China Construction Bank Corp. office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. Photographer: Samsul Said/Bloomberg
The Petronas Twin Towers stand reflected in the windows of the China Construction Bank Corp. office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. Photographer: Samsul Said/Bloomberg

Malaysia has awarded shallow-water exploration Block SB405 to U.S. major ConocoPhillips off the coast of Sabah.

The award is expected to help bolster interest in exploration activities offshore Sabah with more block investment opportunities on offer, Malaysian national oil company (NOC) Petronas said Friday.

ConocoPhillips will operate Block SB405 with an 85% interest. Petronas Carigali, the upstream division of the NOC, will hold the remaining 15% stake. ConocoPhillips already holds interests in five production-sharing contracts (PSCs) in Malaysia; Block J, G and Kebabangan offshore Sabah, as well as SK304 and WL-00 offshore Sarawak.

The entry of the U.S. major with its proprietary seismic technology into Block SB405 is expected to enhance the hydrocarbon resource potential off the coast of Sabah, said Petronas.

“This is an area that has a proven working petroleum system with previous discoveries such as Kuda Terbang and Nymphe fields. At the same time, the new investment of ConocoPhillips in Block SB405 represents enhanced confidence of foreign investors in the upstream sector in Malaysia,” added the NOC.

“The partnership with Petronas Carigali provides that winning combination to support the potential development of the resource within the North East Sabah basin area upon successful commercialisation of the discoveries,” said Petronas.

“Under our right asset, right player strategy, we hope to unlock the full potential of the hydrocarbon resources in Malaysia towards successfully delivering clean and reliable energy to our customers in Malaysia and abroad,” added the Kuala Lumpur-based company said.

Block SB405 is located in the North East Sabah basin, off the coast of Sandakan, with an area size of 5,857 square kilometres and in water depth of up to 100 metres.

Recommended for you

More from Energy Voice

Latest Posts