The Greek energy ministry has approved the applications of a consortium of Total, ExxonMobil and Hellenic Petroleum oil and gas exploration off the island on Crete.
The ministry also confirmed that in a separate deal, Energean Oil and Gas had an application approved for drilling offshore in western Greece.
The country’s oil and gas resources management company will launch a tender for licences to drill in the respective areas by the end of next month.
They aim to complete the process by the end of this year.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Apart from oil sector tax break, Budget was an anti-climax
- Opinion: Out with the old and in with the reconditioned
- Opinion: All the hard work starting to pay off for Aberdeen and north-east
- Opinion: EY’s Derek Leith on what to expect from the Budget
- Opinion: Carbon capture and storage – put the kettle on