Calendar An icon of a desk calendar. Cancel An icon of a circle with a diagonal line across. Caret An icon of a block arrow pointing to the right. Email An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of the Facebook "f" mark. Google An icon of the Google "G" mark. Linked In An icon of the Linked In "in" mark. Logout An icon representing logout. Profile An icon that resembles human head and shoulders. Telephone An icon of a traditional telephone receiver. Tick An icon of a tick mark. Is Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes. Is Not Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes with a diagonal line through it. Pause Icon A two-lined pause icon for stopping interactions. Quote Mark A opening quote mark. Quote Mark A closing quote mark. Arrow An icon of an arrow. Folder An icon of a paper folder. Breaking An icon of an exclamation mark on a circular background. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Caret An icon of a caret arrow. Clock An icon of a clock face. Close An icon of the an X shape. Close Icon An icon used to represent where to interact to collapse or dismiss a component Comment An icon of a speech bubble. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Ellipsis An icon of 3 horizontal dots. Envelope An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Home An icon of a house. Instagram An icon of the Instagram logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. Magnifying Glass An icon of a magnifying glass. Search Icon A magnifying glass icon that is used to represent the function of searching. Menu An icon of 3 horizontal lines. Hamburger Menu Icon An icon used to represent a collapsed menu. Next An icon of an arrow pointing to the right. Notice An explanation mark centred inside a circle. Previous An icon of an arrow pointing to the left. Rating An icon of a star. Tag An icon of a tag. Twitter An icon of the Twitter logo. Video Camera An icon of a video camera shape. Speech Bubble Icon A icon displaying a speech bubble WhatsApp An icon of the WhatsApp logo. Information An icon of an information logo. Plus A mathematical 'plus' symbol. Duration An icon indicating Time. Success Tick An icon of a green tick. Success Tick Timeout An icon of a greyed out success tick. Loading Spinner An icon of a loading spinner.

Eni makes gas find offshore Abu Dhabi

© Supplied by ADNOCAdnoc electrification
The Upper Zakum artificial island

Eni has discovered gas at its first exploration well drilled offshore Abu Dhabi, in the offshore Block 2.

It is drilling the XF-002 well in 35 metres of water. Initial results from the well show it has found 1.5-2 trillion cubic feet of gas in multiple Jurassic reservoirs.

The company is drilling onwards in order to test the Khuff and Pre-Khuff formations. The well should be completed in the second quarter of this year, the Italian company said.

Eni has a 70% stake in the block and is the operator, while Thailand’s PTTEP has the remaining 30%. Adnoc awarded the block to the companies in January 2019.

Adnoc CEO Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber said the discovery “underscores how Adnoc’s expanded approach to strategic partnerships is enabling us to accelerate the exploration and development of Abu Dhabi’s untapped hydrocarbon resources and create long-term value for the UAE, in line with the Leadership’s wise directives”.

Al Jaber went on to congratulate Eni and PTTEP on the find. “We look forward to continuing to work with all our strategic partners to sustainably unlock Abu Dhabi’s hydrocarbon resources and stay ahead of the world’s growing demand for lower-carbon energy.”

The block covers 4,033 square km, northwest of Abu Dhabi.

Seismic works

Adnoc Upstream’s executive director Yaser Saeed Almazrouei highlighted how the company’s ongoing seismic campaign had played a part in this and a December 2021 find.

“Both discoveries leveraged insights from ADNOC’s ongoing 3D mega seismic survey, underpinning the important role the survey is playing for us and our strategic partners as it utilises state-of-the-art technologies to help identify new hydrocarbon resources across Abu Dhabi,” he said.

Adnoc went on to note Eni and PTTEP had also won the offshore Blocks 1 and 3.

In mid-December, Inpex and Adnoc announced a 1 billion barrels of oil equivalent discovery at onshore Block 4. The find was mostly of Murban grade crude and marked the discovery of a new formation.

Recommended for you

More from Energy Voice

Latest Posts