Statoil plans to hand Odfjell Drilling a $160million contract for drilling six wells.
Odfjell said it had been awarded a conditional letter of intent for the Deepsea Atlantic rig.
The letter is subject to licence approval.
If granted, the rig will start drilling in the first quarter of 2019.
Odfjell chief executive Simen Lieungh said: “The contract is another important milestone for Odfjell Drilling in maintaining a close relationship with one of our key clients on the Norwegian continental shelf.
“We have enjoyed great operational success in our partnership with Statoil on Johan Sverdrup and we are setting our sights even higher to improve on previous performance going forward by implementing new digital solutions to increase efficiency in operations”
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Thinking differently about change and the value of emerging technologies
- Safeguards essential for travel to ‘most dangerous’ list
- Green campaigners should look at evidence for leaving rigs in place
- World Car Free Day is opportunity to change automotive habits
- Oil and Gas: ready for big data?