Statoil plans to hand Odfjell Drilling a $160million contract for drilling six wells.
Odfjell said it had been awarded a conditional letter of intent for the Deepsea Atlantic rig.
The letter is subject to licence approval.
If granted, the rig will start drilling in the first quarter of 2019.
Odfjell chief executive Simen Lieungh said: “The contract is another important milestone for Odfjell Drilling in maintaining a close relationship with one of our key clients on the Norwegian continental shelf.
“We have enjoyed great operational success in our partnership with Statoil on Johan Sverdrup and we are setting our sights even higher to improve on previous performance going forward by implementing new digital solutions to increase efficiency in operations”
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPINION: Still time for hazardous industry operators to get ahead in digitisation
- Procurement and audit…the missing link? asks AAB
- Aberdeen still energy powerhouse as renewables combine with oil and gas to buoy hopes for the future
- Opinion: Mariner strike – Eat humble pie if needs be
- Decarbonising the UK: Why are we so cool on heat?