Statoil plans to hand Odfjell Drilling a $160million contract for drilling six wells.
Odfjell said it had been awarded a conditional letter of intent for the Deepsea Atlantic rig.
The letter is subject to licence approval.
If granted, the rig will start drilling in the first quarter of 2019.
Odfjell chief executive Simen Lieungh said: “The contract is another important milestone for Odfjell Drilling in maintaining a close relationship with one of our key clients on the Norwegian continental shelf.
“We have enjoyed great operational success in our partnership with Statoil on Johan Sverdrup and we are setting our sights even higher to improve on previous performance going forward by implementing new digital solutions to increase efficiency in operations”
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Standardising specifications: a new approach
- OPINION: Victim’s son fears another Piper Alpha is ‘just around the corner’
- OPINION: Contractor lawyers in demand as firms reluctant to return to bloated workforces
- OPINION: Are Electric Vehicles changing BP’s business model?
- OPINION: Where helicopter safety is concerned, regulations matter