Calendar An icon of a desk calendar. Cancel An icon of a circle with a diagonal line across. Caret An icon of a block arrow pointing to the right. Email An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of the Facebook "f" mark. Google An icon of the Google "G" mark. Linked In An icon of the Linked In "in" mark. Logout An icon representing logout. Profile An icon that resembles human head and shoulders. Telephone An icon of a traditional telephone receiver. Tick An icon of a tick mark. Is Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes. Is Not Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes with a diagonal line through it. Pause Icon A two-lined pause icon for stopping interactions. Quote Mark A opening quote mark. Quote Mark A closing quote mark. Arrow An icon of an arrow. Folder An icon of a paper folder. Breaking An icon of an exclamation mark on a circular background. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Caret An icon of a caret arrow. Clock An icon of a clock face. Close An icon of the an X shape. Close Icon An icon used to represent where to interact to collapse or dismiss a component Comment An icon of a speech bubble. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Ellipsis An icon of 3 horizontal dots. Envelope An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Home An icon of a house. Instagram An icon of the Instagram logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. Magnifying Glass An icon of a magnifying glass. Search Icon A magnifying glass icon that is used to represent the function of searching. Menu An icon of 3 horizontal lines. Hamburger Menu Icon An icon used to represent a collapsed menu. Next An icon of an arrow pointing to the right. Notice An explanation mark centred inside a circle. Previous An icon of an arrow pointing to the left. Rating An icon of a star. Tag An icon of a tag. Twitter An icon of the Twitter logo. Video Camera An icon of a video camera shape. Speech Bubble Icon A icon displaying a speech bubble WhatsApp An icon of the WhatsApp logo. Information An icon of an information logo. Plus A mathematical 'plus' symbol. Duration An icon indicating Time. Success Tick An icon of a green tick. Success Tick Timeout An icon of a greyed out success tick. Loading Spinner An icon of a loading spinner.

‘This is a big day’: Equinor brings Martin Linge field online after escalated costs

© EquinorEquinor Martin Linge
The Martin Linge platform, flanked by the Maersk Intrepid rig to the left, Floatel Superior to the right.

State-owned operator Equinor has celebrated the start of production on the Martin Linge oil and gas field after a big rise in costs.

Around 260million barrels of oil equivalent (boe) are expected to be recovered from the field, producing around 115,000 boe per day at its peak in 2022.

The field officially came on stream at 21.56 CEST on June 30, with around 2,500 people having prepared it for production.

Equinor was originally scheduled to start production at Martin Linge in 2016 and costs of development have risen from 31.5billion NOK as planned in 2012 (£2.6bn) to 63 billion NOK (£5.3bn).

Gas will flow through a new pipeline to bring it to shore at St Fergus, on the Aberdeenshire coast in Scotland, while oil will go to a permanently anchored storage vessel and shuttled to market.

Martin Linge is electrified via power from shore, reducing CO2 emissions, via the world’s longest alternating-current sea cable which stretches 101miles from an onshore substation at Kollsnes in Western Norway.

It was connected to shore in December 2018, the first in Norway to do so and a step that many UK operators are aiming to follow.

Production wells and the processing plant are operated from a control room in Stavanger and the offshore operators use tablets in the field to work with onshore colleagues.

The process is aimed at reducing costs throughout the operation of the field.

Arne Nylund, Equinor’s executive vice president for projects, said: “This is a big day for everyone working on the Martin Linge project, for Equinor and for our partner Petoro. I would like to thank everyone who has worked hard to deliver this project.”

The firm acquired Total’s interest in March 2018, which also meant taking on operatorship and responsibility for completing the development.

Equinor holds a 70% stake in the project, with the remaining 30% owned by Petoro.

Senior vice president for operations, Rune Nedregaard, said: “It has been a very demanding job, and more challenging than expected, but we have reached the finish line together with our suppliers and our partner Petoro.

“Martin Linge will now produce and create jobs and value for society for many years ahead.”

Discovered in 1978, Martin Linge lies 26miles west of Oseberg in 115 metres of water.

Recommended for you

More from Energy Voice

Latest Posts