Marathon Oil saw its shares jump more than 3% following the announcement it had acquired PayRock Energy Holdings LLC for $888 million. Shares of Marathon Oil gained 3.2% to $13.58 premarket.
The US oil major snapped up the shale assets of PayRock in the Anadarko Basin in Oklahoma as it sought to extend its stake in the shale plays on the back of higher oil prices.
Up to Friday’s close, shares of the company had fallen more than 50% in the past 12 months.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPEC decision: how much more oil will this bring the market?
- OPINION: Decom giveaway laudable, but surely better to leave in place
- OPINION: Microsoft data centres – why Orkney?
- Propelling innovation through gender diversity offshore
- Opinion: Firms must strive to attract workers back to sector as skills shortage looms