Marathon Oil saw its shares jump more than 3% following the announcement it had acquired PayRock Energy Holdings LLC for $888 million. Shares of Marathon Oil gained 3.2% to $13.58 premarket.
The US oil major snapped up the shale assets of PayRock in the Anadarko Basin in Oklahoma as it sought to extend its stake in the shale plays on the back of higher oil prices.
Up to Friday’s close, shares of the company had fallen more than 50% in the past 12 months.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Apart from oil sector tax break, Budget was an anti-climax
- Opinion: Out with the old and in with the reconditioned
- Opinion: All the hard work starting to pay off for Aberdeen and north-east
- Opinion: EY’s Derek Leith on what to expect from the Budget
- Opinion: Carbon capture and storage – put the kettle on