SDX has kicked-off a drilling campaign in the Nile Delta area of Egypt, it today confirmed.
The well is targeting gas in the upper Abu Madi section and oil in the lower AEB & Abu Roash sections. Drilling operations are anticipated to take between 30 and 45 days, depending upon what is encountered in the targeted intervals.
Chief executive Paul Welch said: “We are extremely pleased to announce the start of this drilling campaign, as well as the extension to the exploration period. This is one of several activities, across the expanded SDX portfolio, that has the potential to further increase our reserve base and ultimately add to our high margin production base. We look forward to providing updates over the course of the campaign.”
The firm was also awarded a six-month extension for its first exploration period, giving it “sufficient time for the SD-1X well results to be fully evaluated prior to making any decision to enter into the second exploration period at South Disouq”, according to today’s annoucement.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Clinging onto power: Why extending asset life will be key
- OPINION: Collaboration is key, says BHGE after landing BP Tortue FEED work
- Opinion: When will decommissioning industry set record straight?
- Opinion: Prostate Cancer – The Big Taboo is an industry threat
- Opinion: Environmental focus about more than just compliance