Erin Energy said today it had started drilling the Oyo North West well off Nigeria.
The Pacific Bora rig is drilling block 120 as part of a campaign expected to last 60 days.
The well is targeting 1.1billion barrels.
Erin chief executive Femi Ayoade said: “We are extremely pleased to have commenced drilling of the Oyo North West Prospect.
“Our team has worked hard to mature our extensive portfolio of prospects and we look forward to positive results from this campaign.
“A discovery in the Miocene formation would be a significant step forward in the evolution of our company.”
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- OPEC decision: how much more oil will this bring the market?
- OPINION: Decom giveaway laudable, but surely better to leave in place
- OPINION: Microsoft data centres – why Orkney?
- Propelling innovation through gender diversity offshore
- Opinion: Firms must strive to attract workers back to sector as skills shortage looms